Foreign Students

A foreign student is a temporary resident of Canada who is authorized to work in Canada. In general a foreign national applies for a student visa outside Canada, but in some cases he/she may apply at port of entry if they have a letter of acceptance from a Canadian educational institution. Courses of less than six months do not require a study permit as well as minor children in Canada attending pre-schools, or primary or secondary schools. Foreign Nationals wishing to study in Canada have to:

-        Have a letter of acceptance from the educational institution where they intend to study;

-        Demonstrate that they are able to pay the tuition fees for their intended course or studies.

-        Be able to support themselves financially.

-        Be able to pay their transportation cost to and from Canada.

-        Pass required medical examinations.

-        If they intend to study in Quebec receive a Certificat d'acceptation du Quebec (CAQ).  

Foreign students in Canada enrolled at publicly funded universities and colleges are now allowed to work off-campus if they meet certain requirements. They have to posses a work permit, study six months out of 12 prior to application, be in good standing academically, be enrolled in an academic study program and comply with the work permit conditions.

For more information visit:



Lani Gozlan

Immigration Lawyer in Toronto, Ontario, Canada